Following the restoration to the throne of Charles II in 1660, the Act of Uniformity was passed on 19 May 1662.

The Act, which reflected the promotion of an Anglican religious settlement by the government, provided for the introduction of a revised Book of Common Prayer from 24 August, 1662.

The manuscript copy of the Book of Common Prayer held by the Parliamentary Archives was originally attached to the 1662 Act.
It remains virtually unchanged to this day, as the official legal version of prayer authorised by Parliament.

For more information, visit www.parliament.uk/archives

Tags: Book of Commons Prayer, History of one object, Issue 39