How two MPs took drastic action to help others after Westminster terror shock

Written by David Singleton on 22 March 2017 in Diary

Tobias Ellwood tried to save a police officer, while Mary Creagh advised tube staff.

As most MPs were being contained in the Commons chamber, two parliamentarians leapt into action in a bid to save lives after the terrorist incident in Westminster.

Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood was called a 'hero' after trying to help the police officer who was stabbed to death on the parliamentary estate.

The Conservative MP and former soldier is said to have rushed to the side of the stab victim as he awaited medical staff and an air ambulance. The Tory MP then attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, according to onlookers.

"He ran in the opposite direction to everyone else, he ran towards the injured police officer," said one source.

Photos from the scene showed Ellwood crouched down next to the police officer . He was later seen with bloodied hands talking to police officers near the scene before going back to the Foreign Office.

Ellwood lost his brother Jon in the Bali terror attack in October 2002 which killed 202 people including 27 Britons. Today, MPs from across the political spectrum praised him as a "hero".

Tory MP Ben Howlett tweeted: "Tobias Ellwood is an absolute hero for what he did to help the policeman this afternoon!"

And Lib Dem leader Tim Farron said: "Today, Tobias gave MPs a good name. He was utterly heroic, pure and simple. He went above and beyond and did all he could to save a police officer.”





Meanwhile Labour MP Mary Creagh demanded that staff at Westminster Tube shut the station to prevent people from getting caught up in the terrorist incident.

The former shadow cabinet minister told BBC News she first knew something was seriously wrong when she was walking into the Palace of Westminster and she saw people running towards her, including disabilities minister Penny Mordaunt.

She said: "Penny Mordaunt ran up and said ‘there’s shots being fired, we need to get out of this place now’."

Creagh then was ushered into Westminster tube station and made a beeline for the control room.

"I thought to myself: the one thing we don’t want is a whole load of tourists walking up and wandering in with their children into this situation," she said.

"So I went to the control room, I told the controller there had been what we thought was a terror attack on the Palace of Westminster and I said ‘you’ve got to shut this station now, we’ve got to stop people coming into this situation’.

"I didn’t have my badge, I didn’t have anything. I just had the authority that sheer panic gives you. They took me very seriously."




Picture by: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire/PA Images.

Share this page


Please login to post a comment or register for a free account.